After the first world war, the main industries of South Wales were agriculture and coal mining. Like most of Europe at the time, British factories were running at a low capacity and then came along the Marshall Plan. The Marshall Plan was a program that sent massive amounts of aid from the United States of America to Europe in order to help the European economies recover from the war. One of the biggest companies that benefitted from the Marshall Plan was the British Badger Rubber Company. As part of the Marshall Plan, Britain began investing in high speed rail to help facilitate the export of the rubber. In 1953, Britain built a high speed rail network from their Swansea factory to Liverpool. This link allowed the British Badger Rubber Company to ship their products to the rest of the United Kingdom in one day. After the British Badger Rubber Company found that they were making a profit from exporting their products, they began looking for a site that they could make a second rubber factory and the Welsh village of Ystradfellte was chosen. This was due to it being the location of a former thermal spa, which was said to cure any skin disease. The project was called “Badger Hole House” and had been commissioned by the British Badger Rubber Company in order to create the UK’s first purpose built plastic surgery hospital. The new site for the factory was situated on what is now known as Graig farm. The Badger Hole House was constructed using a steel frame and because of this, it was the first industrial building in the UK to have this technology. The building was constructed in a nine sided form so that it could take advantage of the fact that the area around the Badger Hole House was a wind tunnel. The frame of the building was not solid. It consisted of three steel ribs that went through the centre of the building.